The non–mercury thermometers are non-toxic and environmentally safe. The broken glass should be placed in a sharps container to prevent injury. The remaining liquid can be cleaned up with soap and water.
Keeping this in view, how do you clean a broken mercury free thermometer?
Items Needed to Clean Up a Small Mercury Spill:
- Zip locking plastic bags (4 to 5 as needed)
- Trash bags (2 to 6 mils thick)
- Rubber, nitrile or latex gloves.
- Paper towels.
- Cardboard or squeegee.
- Duct tape, or shaving cream and small paint brush.
- Flashlight or small task light.
Similarly, how dangerous is a broken mercury thermometer? If you break a mercury thermometer or light bulb, a small amount of liquid mercury may spill out. Liquid mercury can separate into small beads, which can roll some distance away. The mercury may also evaporate into vapour. However, this small amount of mercury is extremely unlikely to cause problems for your health.
Beside this, how would you dispose of the mercury if a thermometer breaks?
Open the doors and and eave them open for at least 15 minutes so that room is ventilated. Stay out of the room till the room is ventilated. Wear a rubber or plastic gloves clean up the mercury beads and broken glass. Best way to collect up the spilled mercury beads is to use an empty plastic bottle to suck them up.
How much mercury is in a thermometer?
Each thermometer contains about . 5-1.5 grams of mercury.