An information system contains information about an organization and its surrounding environment. Three basic activities—input, processing, and output—produce the information organizations need. Feedback is output returned to appropriate people or activities in the organization to evaluate and refine the input.
Keeping this in consideration, what are the major activities of an information system?
The major activities of an information system are;
- Input of Data Resource. Data about business transactions and other events must be captured and prepared for processing by the input activity.
- Processing of Data into Information.
- Output of Information Products.
- Storage of Data Resource.
- Control of System Performance.
Subsequently, question is, what are the five basic uses of information systems? An information system is described as having five components.
- Computer hardware. This is the physical technology that works with information.
- Computer software. The hardware needs to know what to do, and that is the role of software.
- Databases and data warehouses.
- Human resources and procedures.
One may also ask, what data management activities do information systems perform?
The primary activities includes the following, inbound logistics, production, outbound logistics, sales and marketing, and maintenance. Support activities include administrative infrastructure management, human resources management, research and development team and procurement (2003).
How are information systems used?
Information consists of data that has been organized to help answer questions and to solve problems. An information system is the software that helps organize and analyze data. The purpose of an information system is to turn raw data into useful information that can be used for decision making in an organization.