Queue is an abstract data structure, somewhat similar to Stacks. Unlike stacks, a queue is open at both its ends. One end is always used to insert data (enqueue) and the other is used to remove data (dequeue). Queue follows First-In-First-Out methodology, i.e., the data item stored first will be accessed first.
Accordingly, what is simple queue?
The simple queue is a normal queue where insertion takes place at the FRONT of the queue and deletion takes place at the END of the queue.
Additionally, what are the basic operations of queue? The queue has 3 operations:
- Initialize the data structure, indices, pointers etc.
- Insert an item into the queue. The insertion is made at the tail of the queue.
- Get/remove an item from the queue. This operation is made at the head of the queue.
Hereof, what are different types of queues?
Types of Queues in Data Structure
- Simple Queue. Image Source. As is clear from the name itself, simple queue lets us perform the operations simply.
- Circular Queue. Image Source.
- Priority Queue. Image Source.
- Doubly Ended Queue (Dequeue) Image Source.
What is front and rear in queue?
Queue is a linear data structure where the first element is inserted from one end called REAR and deleted from the other end called as FRONT. Front points to the beginning of the queue and Rear points to the end of the queue.